Decide on some basic rules. Smoking, eating, loud music, radio station, talking in the car, all these are details, which, if sorted out well beforehand, will make your carpooling enjoyable.
If you are the one who is driving for carpool, please keep your car tidy. It will be a good practice not to pick up errands on your way without consulting others. Basically, it is usually the best practice to carpool straight to and from your destinations.
Before you start carpooling decide if you would want to split the costs and how. The big item is usually the cost of fuel, which you can decide how you want to split. If applicable, toll-way costs are also good to split. If you do not drive at all, consider maintenance, parking costs and increase in insurance premium that the driver may have to bear as well.
This could be a big ticket item. Please decide on a waiting time and how many calls you are going to make to each other. Please share your cell phone numbers since weather conditions, traffic conditions, car troubles are all factors which could affect driving times.
Please have a backup plan in case the driver falls sick, goes on vacation or the car breaks down. We recommend having atleast two drivers in your carpool. Public transportation can also make a good backup plan.
Drivers, consider increasing the appropriate coverage like liability and underinsured motorist. Please verify with your insurance company about any other considerations for your carpool. The person sharing the ride should verify the appropriate insurance coverage for their own damage and loss.
We have put together this simple checklist for your easiness, but please remember that this is not meant to be a comprehensive checklist. This checklist is more relevant for the carpoolers who go together on a regular basis.
- Whether drive / ride schedule has been decided (this will clarify who is driving on which days)?: Yes / No
- Whether pickup and drop-off location has been decided?: Yes / No
- Whether cost sharing and frequency of payments to settle the accounts has been decided? Yes / No
- Whether backup plan has been considered in case of unforeseen events?: Yes / No
- Whether any stops during the trip, such as, daycare, super market, etc. have been agreed?: Yes / No
- Whether the waiting time period has been agreed between the carpoolers?: Yes / No
- Whether smoking, eating, beverages, music, etc. will be allowed during carpooling has been agreed?: Yes / No
- Any other issues?: Yes / No
No related posts.